PhD, Chemistry & Nanotechnology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2012
MS, Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2009
BA, Chemistry, Carleton College, Northfield, MN, 2007
Magna Cum Laude
Dean's List 2005-2006
Certificate of Advanced Study in Foreign Language and Literature: French
Managing Director, Center for Interdisciplinarity, Michigan State University, October 2017-Present
Program Manager, The Toolbox Dialogue Initiative, Dept. of Philosophy & AgBioResearch, Michigan State University, August 2016-October 2017
Research Associate, The Toolbox Dialogue Initiative, Dept. of Philosophy & AgBioResearch, Michigan State University, August 2016-October 2017
Post-doctoral Research Fellow, The Toolbox Project, Dept. of Philosophy & AgBioResearch, Michigan State University, August 2015-August 2016
Senior Research Assistant, Rock Ethics Institute, The Pennsylvania State University, Oct 2013-Dec 2013, April 2014-July 2015
Post Doctorate Research Associate, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Dec 2013-March 2014
Postdoctoral Scholar, Rock Ethics Institute, The Pennsylvania State University, Oct 2012-Oct 2013
1. B. Robinson, S.E. Vasko, C. Gonnerman, M. Christen, M. O’Rourke. “Human Values and the Value of Humanities in Interdisciplinary Research.” Cogent Arts & Humanities. 2016, 3, 1123080.
2. H. Sato, S.E. Vasko, M. Rolandi. “Wafer scale direct-write of Ge and Si nanostructures with conducting stamps and a modified mask aligner.” Nano Research. 2013, 6, 263-268.
3. S.E. Vasko, W. Jiang, H. Lai, M. Sadilek, S. Dunham, M. Rolandi. “Understanding high-field chemistry of diphenylgermane and diphenylsilane for scanning probe direct write.” Journal of Materials Chemistry C. 2012, 1, 282-289.
4. S.E. Vasko, A. Kapetanovic, V. Talla, M. Brasino, Z. Zhu, A. Scholl, J.D. Torrey, and M. Rolandi. “Serial and parallel Si, Ge, and SiGe direct-write with scanning probes and conducting stamps.” Nano Letters. 2011, 11, 2386-2389.
5. S.E. Vasko, W. Jiang, R. Chen, R. Hanlen, S. Dunham, M. Rolandi. “Insights into scanning probe high-field chemistry of diphenylgermane,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 2011, 13, 4842-4845.
6. J.D. Torrey, S.E. Vasko, A. Kapetanovic, Z. Zhu, A. Scholl, M. Rolandi. “Scanning Probe Direct Write of Germanium Nanostructures,” Advanced Materials. 2010, 22, 4639-4642. (Featured Cover Article)
1. S.E. Vasko. “A Review of Pathmakers.” Design and Culture. 2016, 8, 262-266.
2. S.E. Vasko. “Mondo Nano: Fun and Games in the World of Digital Matter.” NanoEthics. 2016, 10, 117–120.
3. S.E. Vasko. “A Review of In Pursuit of Nanoethics.” NanoEthics. 2014, 8, 207-209.
GRANTS, FELLOWSHIPS, AND AWARDS
Exploratory Research Grant, Hagley Museum & Library. Grant Title: “Weaving a History of Innovation: An Examination of Fiber Development and Responsible Innovation.” (Awarded December 2015)
Summer Scholar, National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute-“Teaching the History of Modern Design: The Canon and Beyond.” Host Institution: Drexel University. Philadelphia, PA (July 2015)
Student, Winter School on the Anticipatory Governance of Emerging Technologies. The Center for Nanotechnology in Society at Arizona State University (CNS-ASU). Mesa, AZ (2014)
National Science Foundation Interdisciplinary Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (NSF-IGERT) “Liquid Precursor High-Field Atomic Force Lithography for Green Nanomanufacturing” (2009-2010)
NSF-IGERT “Liquid Precursor High-Field Atomic Force Lithography for Multiplexed Deposition and Biosensor Development” (2008-2009)
Lloyd E. and Florence M. West Graduate Student Fellowship in Chemistry, University of Washington Department of Chemistry (2007-2008)
Hypercube Scholar for Work on Computers in Chemistry, Carleton College (2008)
SELECTED ORAL PRESENTATIONS
- "Better Living Through Interdisciplinarity." MSU Center for Interdisciplinarity University Interdisciplinary Colloquium, East Lansing, MI (2018) Invited.
"The Role(s) of Personal Skills Development in Developing a Collaboration Plan." Science of Team Science 2017 Conference, Clearwater Beach, FL (2017)
"Exploring Responsible Innovation At The Chemistry/Design Interface." Michigan State University Dept. of Philosophy Seminar Series. East Lansing, MI (2017).
- "Were We Hip to Responsible Innovation Before Responsible Innovation was Hip?." Oregon State University. Corvallis, OR (2016). Invited.
- "An Introduction to the Toolbox Dialogue Initiative." Oregon State University. Corvallis, OR (2016).
- “Enabling Innovation Across Fields: Facilitating Dialogue and Collaboration with STEAM Researchers.” Science of Team Science (SciTS) 2016 Conference. Phoenix, AZ (2016).
- “Chemistry, Art, Craft, and Design.” Gustavus Adolphus Chemistry Department Seminar Series. Saint Peter, MN (2016). Invited.
- “From Pinups to Processors to Protective Dresses.” Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association National Meeting. Seattle, WA (2016).
“‘Crafter’ or ‘Maker’? STEM/STEAM, Education, and the Maker Movement." 2015 Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology Conference. Dallas, TX (2015).
“Developing and Communicating Expertise between Crafting and Science/Technology/Engineering/Mathematics (STEM) Fields.” Studies of Expertise and Experience Workshop, Cardiff, Wales (2015).
Crafts and STEM in Dialogue.” Socially Relevant Philosophy of/in Science and Engineering-Second Annual Meeting. Detroit, MI (2015).
- “Driving New Frontiers in STEM Education.” CREATE for STEM Institute Science Seminar Series, East Lansing, MI (2015). Invited.
- “Ethical Dimensions of Scientific Research with a Sustainability Focus: Building Open-Source, Interactive Online Modules at the Graduate Level.” 16th Annual Conference on Ethics Across the Curriculum. Scottsdale, AZ (2014).
- “Open-Source Programming Languages: Integrating the STEM and Humanities Classrooms.” Liberal Arts Scholarship and Technology Summit 2014. University Park, PA (2014).
- “When the Alternative is No Longer ‘Alternative’: Rethinking STEM Graduate Education.” Communities of Integration 2014-Socially Relevant Philosophy of/in Science and Engineering, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada (2014).
- “Scanning Probe Direct Write: From Serial to Parallel Patterning.” Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA (2011).
M. O’Rourke, S. Crowley, B. Laursen, B. Robinson, S.E. Vasko. "State of the Science: Disciplinary Diversity in Teams, Integrative Approaches from Unidisciplinarity to Transdisciplinarity." In Hall, K. L., Vogel, A. L., & Croyle, R. T. Advancing Social and Behavioral Health Research through Cross-Disciplinary Team Science: Principle for Success. Dordrecht: Springer. (Forthcoming).
S.E. Vasko. “Reflections on the Waterbury Summit: STEAM And Systems Thinking” in Reconceptualizing STEM Education – The Central Role of Practices, R. Duschl & A. Bismack Eds., Routledge/Taylor Francis Group, p. 303-306.
- Light Up The Runway! A Fashion Tech Event. The Runway. Lansing, MI (October 2017).
- Wearable E-Textiles: History and Intersections with Chemistry. Chemical Heritage Foundation. Philadelphia, PA (July 2015).